Thursday, September 25, 2014

Attending Political Fundraisers: A Student’s Experience

by Pang Hang, 2017 Pharm.D. candidate, Wayne State University Eugene Applebaum College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences

On Sunday, Sept. 14, 2014, I attended an event to support Gary Peters for U.S. Senate. This was the first time I attended an event like this in the United States.  I am normally shy and soft-spoken, but I like making connections with others and seeing the impact that I can have. I saw this as an opportunity to make sure that what my classmates and I are studying for in pharmacy school will be intact in the future.

Honestly, I’m not well versed in talking about politics. I went to the event with the goal of making connections. I thought there would be more pharmacists there, but many of the attendees were not. It caught me off guard when I introduced myself as a student pharmacist and people asked me why so many pharmacists were at the event. However, that gave me the chance to explain my interest in being there. Being a shy person who still wants to make a difference, I take a less direct approach to advocacy. I didn’t want to sound like a telemarketer trying to sell them something. I shared my background, why I chose to study pharmacy and the vision of how I see pharmacists helping in health care.

I got to hear U.S. Congressman Gary Peters speak and answer questions before I got to meet him. From this experience, I found him to be an approachable and reasonable man. I liked that he made himself available to people and was willing to speak directly to them. From talking to the other guests, I was able to visualize his history of working with people and fighting for their rights. I met numerous women and men who have seen the laws he worked to introduce and pass make changes within their lifetime. That inspired me and gave me hope that I can make a difference too.

I ended up having such a good time at the event with good food and conversation that it ended too early for me. It was only two hours, but I felt that I was successful in advocating for pharmacy. I was able to talk to people about why, as a student pharmacist, I was at an event supporting a political candidate. I felt like I opened the door for another pharmacy advocate to talk with them. My strength isn’t in talking about politics; it’s in building relationships with people. I can play my part as an advocate by becoming friendly with new people and introducing them to friends of mine who do know more about politics who they can speak with.

No comments:

Post a Comment